UPDATE! I got my hands on the Courtney – Johnson game, see below…
Remember long ago when we felt safe to leave our homes? Let’s take a journey back to that time, oh about 5 days ago, when the 3 round (G/75) Swiss acting as the warm-up to the now suspended Dutchess County Championship, was just wrapping up.
The top board in that final round featured two Experts, the current DCC Champ Mark Courtney, and the perennial DCC Champion Ernie Johnson.
I would pay good money to get the score-sheet for that game (hint, hint), but all I know is the end result…
Here is the game in PGN format:
[Event "DCC Warm Up"]
[Site "Poughkeepsie NY"]
[Black "Johnson,Ernie "]
1. e4 d5 2. exd5 Qxd5 3. Nc3 Qa5 4. d4 Nf6
5. Nf3 Bf5 6. Bc4 c6 7. Qe2 e6 8. Bd2 Bb4
9. O-O-O O-O 10. Bb3 Nbd7 11. h3 Nd5 12. Nxd5 cxd5
13. Nh4 Bxd2+ 14. Rxd2 Bg6 15. Nxg6 hxg6 16. h4 Qd8
17. c3 Re8 18. f4 f5 19. h5 g5 20. g4 Nf6
21. gxf5 exf5 22. Qd3 Ne4 23. Rg2 g4 24. Kb1 Kh7
25. Qb5 Qd6 26. Qxb7 Rab8 27. Qxd5 Qxd5 28. Bxd5 Nxc3+
29. Ka1 Nxd5 30. Rc2 Re4 31. Rc6 Rbe8 32. a3 Re1+
33. Rxe1 Rxe1+
The final moves are missing, but at that point Black has a large advantage. Interesting game. I encourage you to copy/paste the PGN into an online tool, such as lichess and turn on Stockfish to analyze it as you work through the moves.
Ernie captured first place, with 3 wins and a perfect score. Congrats, and hopefully the club will be able to resume tournaments (including DCC) before too long.
Click HERE for the full crosstable results.